Monday, June 28, 2010

Kids...eek

Kids are a hoot-every single one of them. I am a proud mother and godmother, but I also work for the public school system. Seeing kids for me is a daily thing (except of course summertime, spring break, Christmas break, legal holidays, you catch my drift). As I mentioned before my son is 8, as he has changed so much since last year and the year before...and so on and so on. He used to fall asleep at 6pm and wake up the next day at 6am and I would fall asleep not to long after he would. He stopped taking naps at about 2 years old (thank you, Abuela!) and he used to eat veggies. Now, the sight of broccoli makes him cringe and he would eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he could. I know they are humans too but it's crazy to see how they evolve.

Even the kids at school. 6th graders, to me, are the most annoying (for the most part). They are fresh out of elementary where they were the cool 5th graders-the leaders of the school and what not and now they are in middle school-where they still think they are cool, but they cry the first time someone takes away their electronic device. Once they have reached 8th grade, the majority have evolved into (somewhat) responsible adults. Granted some of these kids range from 13-17(yep, 17 still in middle school. gotta love that) but what a difference 2 years make!
One girl, for example, she started her 6th grade as annoying as a fly circling your food and now she is going into high school. Fresh Meat Freshman at 14 and she is such a doll. I would get her out of her boring science class or sometimes P.E. just so she wouldn't sweat and mess up her pretty hair or so she would stay awake and not die from boredom. And I didn't mind doing it either. Sure lots of other kids wondered why I would take her out and not the rest, but it was pretty simple-she was cool. The others were not. I know I am an old bag, but some of these kids bring out my youth and that's another perk about working with kids. And their compliments are SINCERE(unless they want a pass out of class).
Now once you are 23 and then you are 25, no big deal. Or 30 going on 32, not a big difference. But watching these kids evolve is a blessing (crazy, I know). I remember my days at RPHS and HML and man, was I annoying. My poor mother. But then again, one foul mouthed word, or one phone call from school (even when it was good) and my ass would be handed to me.

At the end of the school year, knowing that I affected ONE student's life is all the satisfaction I need to know that I am in the right career path. :) Crazy, but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment