Friday, July 2, 2010

Cuba Libre

Living in South Florida, you are surrounded all kinds of people and different cultures. Living in the Miami Metropolitan Area, you are especially surrounded by Hispanics. Living in Hialeah, Florida, there are more Cubans than any other culture. For my last 2 years of high school, I went to Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School so I got a taste of Hialeah for a little bit. Where else could you get a pizza and drink for $1.00 during lunch and bring your teacher back lunch so she doesn't mark you tardy? Then again, that was 1998 when open lunch was allowed. Fast forward to 2010 and the same school I went to high school with is an "F" school. "F" means of course failure. Failure in what, you ask? The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test. This is a statewide test that assesses students progress (at least that's what Jeb Bush wanted Floridians to think). Is it a horrible test? No. It's pretty basic stuff for the grade-level student, but it is a high-stakes test and some of these principals just sit on their desks analyzing these scores and other testing scores. Sad, but true.

I got off track there but back to Hialeah. The city has changed in the last 10 years mostly because population has boomed and of course, the recession. I hardly ever go to Hialeah unless I need a manicure, pedicure, or eyebrow wax ($25 for all 3. Can't beat that). Or if I want to grab a drink (50% off all drinks after 9pm every day) at Flanigans. I could go to Flanigans in PJs. That's how casual it is (for women at least. Some 40 year-old men who still live at home with their mom and abuela try to pick up women there. True Story).

Gotta love Hialeah-La Ciudad Que Progresa!

No comments:

Post a Comment