Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thrift Stores-Hand Me Downs? or Hand It Over!


As a little girl, I used to enjoy thrifting. I would catch a train to the next town over (which was an upper-class neighborhood with the hottest Calvin Klein jeans for under $5) and simply shop. I would stay there for a long time and just search through other people's hand-me-downs.
Did I care? Hell to the no! A friend of mine goes thrifting for jeans at times because she says the jeans are already worn and washed and most likely the color or fit won't change. Girl does have a valid point there but I don't know why I am not that comfortable with thrifting anymore. Is it because I am older and more of a germaphobe? I know I can wash the clothes but I don't know what it is anymore.
A friend of mine went on an African journey and recently returned. She got her backpack stolen and in there were clothes that she had bought clothes at a thrift store before leaving to give to children where she would be volunteering. I was so heartbroken when she told me that. Some of these shirts she had bought were 95 cents and would have brought a lifetime of smiles to those children. Of course she washed it before she left, but it was all she could afford, especially since she had bought quite a few items.
I felt like crap because I am a little grossed out at the thought of buying clothes at a thrift store. But what I do enjoy are buying books from there. I bought 4 books last week for 95 cents each! LOVE IT! I love to read and enjoy reading from an actual book, not these new electronical widgets that make u download books (seriously, what's the big deal with those things anyway).
Nothing wrong with thrifting! Nothing wrong with finding a deal! Especially for 95 cent books!

No comments:

Post a Comment