Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sizzling Saturday

The day started for me on the hunt. The hunt for what you ask? Shorts. Yes, I said shorts. Shorts for Alex. Alex is average size in height for an 8 year old but bottoms, he is a 12 Husky or a size 14. Sometimes the bottoms look like balloons because they are so large, so a lot of times I need to take him to the mall with me. And these mall trips can't be too long or he will start trippin'.


I also did something very unnatural......I saw a movie GASP.


The movie I saw was "Freedom Writers" starring Hilary Swank as Erin Gruwell, a high school English Teacher in Long Beach, California who taught her students in an unorthodox way and was placed in a school that wasn't in the best area. She was able to motivate these kids and in turn they learned a lot about themselves and the potential that they had to make it in the world without living in poverty. Gruwell helped to motivate her kids by journal writing and self reflecting and in 1999, The Freedom Writers Diary was published. These are actual journal entries from her students in Long Beach. Gruwell went on to get her Master's Degree at California State University and even taught some of her Freedom Writer students at California State. This was truly an inspiring, touching movie that kept me entertained and I didn't even change the channel not even during commercials.


Here is a picture taken during filming of the movie in 2006 with Gruwell(violet shirt, front row, to the right of the woman in the peace sign shirt) and some of her freedom writers.
Then I hit up the Hard Rock in Ft. Lauderdale to shake what my mama gave me! Ate some Checkers fries, then puked! Party on!

No comments:

Post a Comment